Monday, July 05, 2010

World Cup of Cinema: The Final Four

So I guess Argentina wasn't as formidable as I'd originally thought. Still, this is an interesting foursome going into the semifinals. There's a part of me that wants the Cup to go to someone who hasn't won yet- namely, Spain or Netherlands- although my affinity for underdogs has me rooting for Uruguay as well. Either way, now that Brazil is going things are looking far less assured for anyone.

Anyway, here are this week's matchups:

Tuesday, July 6
Netherlands (Soldier of Orange) vs. Uruguay (The Pope's Toilet)

Wednesday, July 7
Germany (In a Year of 13 Moons) vs. Spain (Blood Wedding)

As for the movies that are still in the hunt, I'm fairly happy with all of them. The ones that intrigue me most are the Fassbinder and Verhoeven films. Then again, Blood Wedding is probably the one that Ang is most likely to enjoy. And The Pope's Toilet should be entertaining as well. Not really a clunker in the bunch- thank goodness.

No comments: