Friday, July 30, 2010

My Top 25 of the Aughts, #23

Silencio!



(Sorry for the subs and poor quality, which you'll just have to deal with for some of these. This is an awesome scene that isn't as ubiquitous as some of the other famous ones in the movie, so I figured I'd post it here.)

Also, honestly in retrospect I feel a little bad that I've placed this one so low. Not so much because damn near everyone else is putting it at or near the top of their decade lists, but more because it contains more flat-out awesome scenes than any movie of the past decade. And this one isn't even the best- there's also Club Silencio, the audition, the Castigliane brothers meeting, the Winkies incident, the opening jitterbug, "something bit me BAD!", and even the little phone conversation that immediately precedes and set up this scene. And let's not forget the bedroom scene- "have you ever done this before?" "I... don't know!" But on balance, as awesome as these scenes are, I'm not sure they really build up very well. Of course, that's sort of the nature of the beast, since it's a pilot that Lynch later retrofit into a movie. But consider that none of the scenes I just rattled off without so much as a second thought- oh wait, I forgot "Sixteen Reasons"- come in its final third, and that as much as anything else is my reason why this isn't in the top 5.

No comments: