Monday, August 24, 2009

Trailer Review-type Thing: Inception

As most of you probably remember, I used to run what were called Trailer Reviews over at Screengrab three days a week. It wasn't a great column, but it helped to pay the bills, even if it meant having to crank out 200 words about the likes of Beverly Hills Chihuahua. I don't plan on making it a regular thing, but if I see something I like I'll post it here.



Through some conveniently Hollywood-ish bit of happenstance, the directors of the two highest-grossing films (domestic, not adjusted for inflation) in history dropped trailers for their latest projects this past week. But while Avatar's new spot premiered with great fanfare, Warner dropped a teaser for Inception, the upcoming film by Christopher Nolan, with very little notice. So while the hype for Avatar has resulted in widespread disappointment among moviegoers, the element of surprise is working in Inception's favor. It doesn't hurt that it looks pretty damn cool, at least in the small snippets we see here. The only reservation I have is about the title itself- Inception doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, nor does it really register in the memory. Hell, I forgot it several times when referring to it in conversation the other day. Still, I'm a big fan of Nolan- especially when it comes to The Prestige- so I'm totally down with anything he wants to do.

No comments: