Thursday, June 04, 2009

Famous Last Words: Resurrection- Week 1

Well folks, there’s no getting around it- Screengrab’s days are over. I think I’m taking it well under the circumstances- no wailing or gnashing of teeth, merely a kind of weary resignation on my part to the notion that my semi-pro writing days are probably over, and to the need to seek out a new part-time job to plug up the hole left in my finances by the loss of the paid critical gig. But needless to say, the shuttering of Screengrab has gotten me thinking a lot about endings lately.

In other words, it’s the perfect time to bring back your favorite movie game and mine, Famous Last Words, which I began here a few years ago before taking it to Screengrab. I posted the rules of the game last week, and now I’m back to kick off the first week of the twelve-week round of play. As usual, I’m starting off with an easy one, to encourage as many people as possible to compete for the prize of a $25 gift certificate from The Criterion Store. Hope to see plenty of responses to this week’s quote:

“Send us an electrician out here, we’ll be standing by. Over.”

Why is someone calling for an electrician? Name the film. I’ll be turning off comments for the purposes of the game, so send your responses to this e-Mail address- please note that it’s a different address than we used for the Screengrab game. And remember, all submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM Eastern next Wednesday. Good luck!