Sunday, November 09, 2008

Public Service Announcement

Looking at my blog, I noticed that it's been nearly three weeks since my last post. I would just like you all to know that I haven't forgotten you, but I've merely been busy of late. In case you haven't poked around my links over to the right, I regularly add new reviews to my reviews page, with the latest being Changeling (mild pro), A Girl Cut in Two (highly enthusiastic PRO), Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (decidedly mixed), and Rachel Getting Married (ecstatic PRO). Also, I'm posting half a dozen or so piece a week over at The Screengrab, so that takes up a lot of my spare time. Believe me, it'll only get more hectic in the future.

So in the meantime- or at least until I can post another Criterion Watch- here's something to keep you folks busy:

I recently took a look at my DVD collection. I noticed a number of remakes, as well as even more titles that have been remade. However, in only one instance, I own both the original movie and its remake. Let's see if anyone can guess the title in question. It'll probably surprise you, but maybe not.

14 comments:

Jason_alley2 said...

Hmmmmm.......this is probably wrong, but since my better half is asleep in the room where the DVD collection is, I'll just have to guess off the top of my head.

"Cape Fear"?

Kza said...

I have a bunch of guesses, but I won't shotgun 'em all at ya. Instead, I'll start with DAWN OF THE DEAD.

Paul C. said...

Nope, and nope.

Actually, I don't own either version of Cape Fear. I do, however, own the original Dawn of the Dead because, well, it just wouldn't be a real DVD collection without it.

Keep 'em coming, folks. If this goes on long enough without anyone getting the right answer, I'll start tossing out clues.

Jason_alley2 said...

"Seven Samurai" and "The Magnificent Seven"?

Kza said...

and I'm gonna go with the two versions of THE THING.

Paul C. said...

Nope. I own the Eastern 7 but not their Western counterparts, and I only own Carpenter's Thing. Wait, that didn't come out right...

Jason_alley2 said...

Ha!

"The Thing" was an excellent guess, as both are good, but only Carpenter's is GREAT, in my opinion.

Of all the movies that weren't understood by critics in their own time, I think that one baffles me the most. Because it's so obviously PERFECT.

But I digress...

Jason_alley2 said...

A-ha!

"Invasion Of The Body Snatchers"?

Paul C. said...

Jason~~~

I get the impression that critics didn't misunderstand what the thing was about so much as they simply lumped it in with other gory, effects-driven monster movies. But yes, time has been most kind.

Also, nope. I have the '56 Invasion dubbed on a VHS somewhere, but the only telling of the tale I own on DVD is the Kaufman remake. Nice try though.

jahs34 said...

I don't think is gonna be The Manchuria Candidate is it? or Insomnia, nor Ringu and The Ring.

Kza said...

Oh, I know. Of course.

It's CHARADE/THE TRUTH ABOUT CHARLIE.


Okay, now that everyone's done laughing, a real guess:

LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT/VIRGIN SPRING

Paul C. said...

Actually, Jahs34 has it- The Manchurian Candidate. I actually like the remake a lot, especially the inventive soundtrack. Although half my reason for buying the DVD was to re-watch that awesome scene in which Denzel removes the chip from Liev Schreiber's shoulder with his teeth.

Kza said...

Damn! Probably would never have guessed MC, to be honest.

jahs34 said...

Hell yeah, what do i win? haha, it was a non guess and got it right.